David L. Watson
David’s principal areas of practice are estate planning and wealth transfer, taxation, business succession, probate, asset protection planning, international estate planning and business planning. Typical projects for David include complex wills and trusts, administration of estates, family limited partnerships, charitable trusts, and gifting programs. He also oversees the proper tax reporting of gift and estate transfers and the defense of such positions from challenge by the IRS. David has over 23 years of experience in these areas, and has spoken at numerous tax and estate planning seminars.
Some of David’s Recent Engagements Include:
- In 2012, design and implementation of a family trust governed by Delaware law to utilize a client’s gift tax exemption.
- Assistance to a closely-held lumber company in the planning and structuring of an offshore captive insurance company to reduce current income taxes and minimize future estate taxes.
- Design of a transaction whereby a client made a gift and sale of partnership interests to a grantor trust, including coordination of the valuation of interests in a family partnership for gift tax purposes.
- Design and implementation of a multiple GRAT strategy for a client using marketable securities.
- In a complex and protracted transaction, assistance to an estate in obtaining releases of guaranties from a bank and division of real estate partnership in order to pass clear title to real estate to LLC owned by heirs.
Mr. Watson is married with three children and lives in Atlanta. He enjoys history, politics and sports.